Can I Use My HSA To Pay For Invisalign®?Grandview Dental | April 24, 2017
Have you ever wondered if you could use your HSA to pay for Invisalign®? Alternatively, have you ever wondered what an HSA is? Don’t worry—we’ve got you covered! Read on to learn about this unique savings program that allows you to save money on your dental expenses.
What Is an HSA?
An HSA or Health Savings Account is a program you can enroll in if you have a high-deductible health plan. The HSA can be used to pay for current or future healthcare expenses. Many people enroll in HSAs for the three primary tax advantages they provide:
- Contributions to an HSA are tax-deductible, or if made through a payroll deduction, they are pretax
- The interest your HSA earns is tax-free
- You can make tax-free withdrawals from your HSA for qualified medical expenses
Does My HSA Cover Invisalign®?
The IRS allows HSA payments for dental expenses, including Invisalign®, if those expenses are not eligible for reimbursement through insurance or other sources. According to IRS publication 502, allowable medical expenses are those procedures used to alleviate dental disease like X-rays, fillings, braces, extractions, dentures, and other dental ailments.
We recommend that you contact your HSA provider for a complete list of which medical/dental expenses are covered. Teeth whitening, for instance, is not.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign®?
Invisalign® has numerous advantages over traditional braces:
- Adults Prefer Them. Many adults feel uncomfortable or embarrassed wearing braces. By contrast, Invisalign® is very discreet and most people don’t even notice the aligners.
- Invisalign® Aligners Are Removable. Have a special event to go to? No problem. You can take your Invisalign® aligners out for special occasions! (but not for extended periods of time)
- You Can Enjoy the Same Foods. Unfortunately, people with braces need to avoid foods that are hard, crunchy, or sticky. Not so with Invisalign®. Simply remove the aligners before meals and continue to enjoy your favorite foods.
- More Free Time! With Invisalign®, you’ll only need to visit our office once every 4-6 weeks.
- Less Irritating. Sharp metal braces can irritate your mouth. Invisalign® aligners are made of smooth plastic, making them much more comfortable.
- Better Dental Health. Braces make brushing and flossing difficult, increasing the risk of tooth decay. With Invisalign®, you’ll simply remove your aligners to brush and floss as you normally would.
Who Makes a Good Candidate for Invisalign®?
The majority of people make great Invisalign® candidates. The aligners can be used to treat a wide range of dental issues, from mild cases to more complex ones.
Invisalign® aligners are commonly used to treat gapped teeth, over/underbites, crowded teeth, open bites (when the teeth don’t physically make contact) and cross-bites (when the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned).
The best way to determine whether Invisalign® is right for you is to visit us for a consultation.
I’d Like an Invisalign®Consultation. How Can I Schedule One?
If you’re ready to schedule your Invisalign® consultation, you can call us at 614.486.7378 or set up an appointment online by clicking here. For your convenience, Grandview Dental Care offers day and evening appointments.