Wii is great family fun!Dr. Bill Thompson | November 19, 2008
My wife and I got a Wii last year for Christmas. Well, actually it was an impulse buy on eBay sometime in November 2007 but she justified it as a Christmas gift for the family. We played Wii bowling, tennis, a lot last winter along with Rayman Raving Rabbids.
The Wii is just plain fun. Many of the games aren’t controlled by a complicated sequence of buttons but instead you move your body and the Wiimote to make things happen on the screen. And often times the results are hilarious to those playing and watching.
With the holidays approaching if a Wii is in the family budget, now is the time to track one down before things get crazy and we hear reports of parents chasing down the UPS delivery person on their way to Gamestop. (By the way, I have no affiliation with Gamestopbut they are a great place to buy used and new games and as of Saturday they had Wii’s in stock in their store at Kingsdale)
Anyway…. here is the listing of our current favorite Wii games and a couple we plan on acquiring to enjoy ourselves and to have on hand when friends and family come to visit.
These are in no particular order. My wife usually checks out reviews at Amazon.com and gamespot.com.
1) Wii Sports – this is the game that comes with the Wii console and has tennis, golf, bowling, and baseball. My parents have played this game and they are in their 80s.
2) Guitar Hero World Tour – Not only can you have dueling guitars but you can have a rock band complete with drums and a lead singer. And the song list is long and has old and new classics. It’s addictive and can be highly competitive ……. especially in our household.
3) Raymond Raving Rabbids – This is the first game in the series for Wii and it is hilarious. One of the highlights: You “shoot” raving rabbits with plungers but there are plenty of other active mini-games. And since it has been out awhile you can find it for less than $20.
4) Mario Galaxy – Fun, Unique Mario Game
5) Wii Fit – It may not replace your regular workout routine but you can get your heart rate up on some of the games and the Hula Hoop game and the Heading of the soccer ball puts a smile on your face everytime.
6) Active Life: Outdoor Challenge – Haven’t play it yet but I’ve heard it’s more kid friendly than Wii Fit. And it has Whack-A-Mole.