Traditional braces versus InvisalignGrandview Dental | September 12, 2011
Grandview Dental Care Sets the Record Straight
Most people equate braces with an improved smile. Straight teeth and a beautiful smile boost your confidence, which can affect both your personal and professional life. For this reason alone, many people believe that any temporary hassle associated with braces is worth it, especially considering the long-term rewards that follow.
Straight Teeth and Your Health
If the quest for a beautiful smile is not enough to make you a believer, consider the many health advantages. First, teeth that are properly positioned are easier to brush and floss. If teeth are misaligned, the chance of plaque buildup increases. And when teeth are straight, the gums fit tighter, which translates into better periodontal health. Simply said, improved oral hygiene reduces the risks of tooth decay and gum disease.
At the same time, teeth that are not properly aligned can pose additional concerns, like speech problems or a poor bite, which could cause soreness in the jaw joint. With reasons like this, it’s not surprising to learn that nearly half of all orthodontic patients today are adults. Still, many adults and teens face the decision about whether to opt for traditional metal braces or Invisalign, a series of clear, removable orthodontic aligners. We believe Invisalign has some notable advantages. Here are a few:
- Invisalign makes invisible teeth-straightening a reality. Gone are the metal-mouth jokes that plagued your childhood.
- Invisalign is more comfortable because it uses smooth plastic rather than sharp metal that can irritate your cheeks and gums.
- Invisalign makes it possible to brush and floss normally, so your periodontal health is not at stake.
- Invisalign lets you remove the device if and when you want.
- Invisalign lets you eat what you want—apples, popcorn, bagels—even corn-on-the-cob.
- Invisalign makes it easier to eat just about anything—without the pain and hassle of wires—which can cause mouth sores or other injuries.
Grandview Dental Care Can Help you get a straighter smile with Invisalign
Regardless of your age, you may be wondering which straightening option is best for you. We suggest calling 614.486.7378 to schedule a consult with Dr. Bill Thompson or Dr. Abe Hoellrich at Grandview Dental Care. Our offices are conveniently located in Central Ohio not far from the Ohio State University campus.