Reducing Canker Sore Pain And DurationStacia | October 29, 2013
THE EXACT CAUSE of canker sores is unknown. What we do know is that canker sores can be extremely irritating! By better understanding some of the possible causes—and some treatment options—we hope to reduce the annoyance canker sores may cause you.
Possible Canker Sore Causes
These non-contagious lesions that appear on your gums, lips, cheeks, and the roof of your mouth may be caused by:
- irritation (from harsh brushing, braces, biting the inside of your mouth, etc.)
- high stress levels
- bacterial infections
- poor nutrition and/or vitamin deficiencies
- immune system issues
- food allergies
Tips For Reducing Canker Sore Pain And Duration
There’s no cure-all solution for canker sores. But, there are a few things you can do to reduce their painful impact and possibly reduce your susceptibility.
- A baking soda or salt water rinse can calm pain.
- A daily dose of Vitamin B12 can reduce sore frequency and length.
- Certain over-the-counter products can help with pain and healing.
- Do your best to lessen stress! Exercise may help!
- Watch what you eat… Notice if certain foods trigger your canker sores.
- Regularly using an antiseptic rinse may help with prevention.
- Avoid hot or spicy foods that may further irritate sores.
- Check your toothpaste. Some research shows that SLS (an ingredient found in many toothpastes) may aggravate canker sores.
An Important Note
Canker sores usually heal themselves in a week or two. If yours don’t, please call us to set up an appointment! Lingering sores may be an early sign of a more serious condition. Your health and comfort is our number one priority!
Thanks for being a valued part of our practice. We appreciate you!
Founded in 1978, Grandview Dental Care is a leading Columbus Ohio dentist offering a wide range of general and cosmetic dental services in the Columbus area including: Invisalign, dental implants, IV sedation dentistry, and veneers Grandview Dental Care is conveniently located at 1220 Grandview Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, 43212 in Grandview Heights, near Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington, The Ohio State University campus, and downtown Columbus. You can give us a call at 614-486-7378.
Looking for more ways to keep your mouth healthy? Check out these related blog posts.
- How your dental exam can reveal broader health problems
- Easy things you can do to keep your smile healthy
- What everybody needs to know about a healthy smile