Fun Dental FactsGrandviewDental | January 17, 2011
Dentistry – Interesting??
I bet you didn’t think it was possible, but here are a few dental fun facts that may find you saying “Wow, I didn’t know that!”
- The Mexican version of the Tooth Fairy is known as the Tooth Mouse, which takes the tooth and leaves treasures in its place.
- If you’re right handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.
- Both men and women feel guilty when they forget to brush their teeth. Most people feel that brushing their teeth is some sort of obligation which was imposed at them at a very young age. 79% of those interviewed said that they brush their teeth because it is something that they were told to do throughout their lives.
- Over 75% of people don’t change their toothbrush as often as they should. For hygiene reasons, it is recommended that your toothbrush be replaced every two to three months.
- There are well over 140,000 dental hygienists registered in the US and over 98% of them are females.
- The second most common disease in the United States is tooth decay. The first is the common cold.
- George Washington’s dentures were made from walrus, hippopotamus, and cows’ teeth, as well as elephant tusks, not wood
- Horses teeth are extremely long and grow continually. They wear down, change shape and become discolored as they grow
- 32% of Americans cite bad breath as the least attractive trait of their co-workers…. so brush after lunch!
- 38.5 = the total days an average American spends brushing their teeth over a lifetime
- The average woman smiles 62 times a day while a man smiles about 8 times. Kids laugh around 400 time per day. Adults laugh about 15 times. So, make a point to laugh more today.
- Michigan dig: According to a poll conducted in that state up North, 2% of those polled said they don’t brush their teeth at ALL! EEEEWGH! Perhaps Coach Hoke can improve that too!(Note to our Michigan fans…., and I realize we have some as patients, feel free to comment with what Ohio dental care facts you find via Google)