Back to School! Are Dental Checkups part of your Checklist?Kay | August 9, 2012
ACCORDING TO THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS, TOOTH DECAY is one of our most common, modern-day chronic diseases. In fact, by the time children begin kindergarten, 40 % have some kind of tooth decay! Remember, just because kids aren’t complaining about tooth pain (and their teeth “look” OK), doesn’t necessarily mean their teeth are OK.
Fall is a great time to assess your health goals and get back on track after a leisurely summer. Let Grandview Dental Care help. Be sure dental checkups are part of your back-to-school checklist.
Typically Included In A Regular Checkup Or Back-To-School Exam:
Here are some of the services we typically take care of during regular checkups and back-to-school exams:
- Thorough Cleaning: Professional cleanings help prevent gum disease—keeping your teeth healthier, longer.
- Checking For Cavities: Take care of cavities before they become bigger problems, leading to pain and tooth loss.
- Checking Existing Dental Work: We check fillings, crowns, sealants, etc.
- Examining Oral Tissue & Jaw Function: Early detection helps prevent oral cancer and related problems.
- Fluoride Application: For cavity prevention.
Important Things You Can Do to help keep your child’s teeth healthy
- Have your children brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Remind them to brush gently and pay special attention to their gum line.
- Teach the good habit of flossing each day.
- Give kids healthier snack foods such as fresh fruits and veggies.
- Limit sugary snacks & high-carb foods. The bacteria that cause tooth decay love simple sugars—especially those in treats.
- If your children like to chew gum, offer sugar-free options.
- Always talk with our team if you notice any unusual oral health changes.
A big part of our role is helping parents better monitor children’s oral (and overall) health. Preventative dental care is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and for your family! So be sure to contact us if it’s time for your regular appointments.
Thanks for being our valued patient!
We look forward to seeing you at your next visit!