3 Questions To Ask Yourself About BrushingStacia | January 27, 2014
BRUSHING: IT’S THE FOUNDATION for keeping your mouth clean and healthy. In fact, it’s so basic that most people don’t think about it very much… They just do it.
If you’re brushing twice a day that’s superb! It makes our job (helping keep your smile beautiful and healthy) a lot easier! But everyone can be more effective with our brushing. Ask yourself the following three questions:
1. Are you using the correct brush?
Your toothbrush should be small enough to reach every small corner inside your mouth, and it should have soft bristles.
2. Are you using the proper techniques?
Brush with the bristles against your teeth and gum line at a 45 degree angle. Brush in small, circular strokes, vision plaque being swept off from the gum line.
NEVER brush too hard. Imagine holding your toothbrush like a paintbrush! When it comes to brushing, elbow grease won’t get you anywhere—it just flattens the bristles against your teeth and it doesn’t do any good. And, it can wear down your enamel more rapidly.
3. Are you thorough?
It takes two complete minutes to do a thorough brushing job… 30 seconds per quadrant. And, don’t forget these frequently ignored areas:
- inner side of your front teeth
- your tongue
- inner side of back molars, next to your tongue
Watch This Helpful Video & View These Guidelines
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association has produced a quick-reference guide.
Ready To Take It To The Next Level?
If you feel like you have the basics covered, try these tips:
- Brush without toothpaste. It makes you more aware of where you do and do not brush.
- Try a plaque-disclosing tablet or rinse. Usually made for kids, these products color the plaque on your teeth so you can really see your progress.
- Most people follow the exact same pattern each time they brush. Try starting in a new place every day.
- Electric Toothbrushes are more effective than manual toothbrushes. Ask us which ones we recommend.
- Brush your tongue, too.
- Don’t forget to floss!
Thanks for reading, and happy brushing!
Founded in 1978, Grandview Dental Care is a leading Columbus Ohio dentist offering a wide range of general and cosmetic dental services in the Columbus area including: Invisalign, dental implants, IV sedation dentistry, and veneers Grandview Dental Care is conveniently located at 1220 Grandview Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, 43212 in Grandview Heights, near Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington, The Ohio State University campus, and downtown Columbus. You can give us a call at 614-468-8654.
Looking for more ways to keep your mouth healthy? Check out these related blog posts.
- How your dental exam can reveal broader health problems
- Easy things you can do to keep your smile healthy
- What everybody needs to know about a healthy smile