Sedation Dentistry in Columbus, Ohio: Putting Your Mind at Ease
If dental phobia prevents you from getting the dental care you need, IV sedation is a great solution. Dr. Bill Thompson is a sedation dentist, one of the few in Columbus, Ohio, with a Conscious Sedation Dentistry Permit. That means he is highly trained sedation dentist and can perform this advanced form of sedation dentistry, which safely and comfortably alleviates pain and anxiety for the patient. IV sedation:
• Uses powerful pain-relieving and sedative drugs to ensure a relaxing, pain-free dental procedure. The drugs are administered directly into the patient’s vein. The patient feels a quick pinch, which can be modified with numbing gel.
• Makes it possible for the patient to cooperate throughout the procedure as he or she is conscious and still able to respond to simple commands.
• Causes partial or full short-term memory loss, so the patient remembers little or nothing about the procedure. Patients experience a state of deep relaxation and are not bothered by what’s happening.
• Provides a safe alternative, and all of the patient’s protective reflexes and vital functions are intact. Each patient is administered only the amount of sedation necessary for relaxation, and levels are precisely controlled. Patients are closely monitored and observed with the proper equipment throughout the procedure. Reversal agents for the sedative are readily available if needed.
• Eliminates the fear factor. IV sedation relieves anxiety so the patient can relax. Patients who neglect their teeth because they are afraid of dental procedures can approach dental care with a new perspective.
• Saves valuable time. IV sedation makes it possible for the dentist to accomplish more during a single appointment. This is an added bonus for busy people who have trouble fitting dental visits into their schedule.
• Ensures the correct dosage. IV sedation has many advantages over oral sedation (pill), which is not as predictable or reliable. Because it is difficult to determine how many pills a patient will need prior to the procedure, there is a risk of over- or under-sedation. Unfortunately, once the dental procedure begins, it’s too late to increase the dosage of the pill.
• Saves you money. Dr. Bill Thompson is uniquely certified to perform IV sedation, a commitment that requires ongoing training and education. Since he administers and monitors the IV sedation and also performs the dental work, he does not need to hire a separate anesthesiologist. This cost savings is transferred to the patient.
• Solves numbing problems. If patients have had trouble “getting numb” in the past, IV sedation makes it easier to deal with that problem, allowing them to get the dental care they need.
• Allows you to forget the procedure. What could be better than walking away from the dental office with no recollection of the shot, the drill or the entire process? Patients can get on with their lives without dwelling on the dental procedure.
If you’ve been dreading your next dental appointment, this is the solution you’ve been waiting for. IV sedation saves you time and money, and best of all, you feel no pain.